Okay, I love the song lyrics meme so much that I have to do it. That meme would be:
Step 1: Get your playlist together, put it on random, and play!
Step 2: Pick your favorite lines from the first 25 songs that play!
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song the lines come from!
Step 4: Cross out the songs when someone guesses correctly!
I don’t have an iPod or anything, but I do have a carousel that holds a whole lotta CDs, so shuffle mode on that is a rough equivalent. I’ve eliminated duplicate artists. I also deleted spoken-word stuff, like comedy album cuts. My tastes are pretty dang mainstream, so if yours are too, you may have a field day here.
And away we go:
1. I’ll say goodbye to Colorado, where I was born and partly raised.
2. You hold the percentage, but I’m the fool paying the dues.
3. Think of ice cream sliding into a crack.
4. Some things that happened for the first time seem to be happening again.
5. Oh, let’s blame it on the Yanks. (So sorry, boys.)
6. Brace yourself: I’m bent with bitterness.
I’m living in an empty room, with all the windows smashed.
8. Under his nose was a dream come true.
Fear not, for you’re still breathing.
10. As far as I can tell, I’ve been gone for miles now.
11. Oh, Mr. President, can I tell you a secret?
12. Dive down deep down to save my head.
Don’t give me that do-goody-good bullshit.
14. In secret she says she needs to see him, but no words are spoken.
15. Well you lied to me, cos I asked you to.
16. I used to need your love so badly; then I came to live with it.
17. Will this be our poisoned legacy?
And he rubbed the pot roast all over his chest.
19. It’s a different sport that is on its way.
20. Right and wrong — it never helped us get along.
I’m willing and able, so I throw my cards on your table.
22. Like day from night, suddenly I saw a thousand faces.
She’s killer diller when she’s dressed to the hilt.
24. Millions of kids are looking at you — you say, “Let them drink soda pop.”
25. There’s frost on the graves and the monuments, but the taverns are warm in town.
1 – I always thought this was “hardly raised”, but it appears I was wrong.
17 – I actually find this song highly annoying, and had a tough time picking out a lyric I even like.
7 might be Annie Lennox, Walking on Broken Glass, perhaps?
13 – “Money” by Pink Floyd.
Also, 23 is “Polythene Pam” by The Beatles.
#9 is a track off of Sarah McLachlan’s “Vox”, but I’d have to look at the song list to figure out the title, it being the “on a windless (winter’s?) day I saw the lifeblood drained away” song.
I can confirm that this much is true. I’m inclined to give it to you, since the title has nothing obvious to do with the song, and I know you’d know it if you looked at the track list.
Er, “Touch” being the name of the album, not “Vox”.
I’m not sure I’d actually know looking at the track listing–there’s that song and an instrumental or two, and I’m not sure I know which one’s which. (Ben’s Song, Uphill Battle, Touch–maybe another even? Except actually I know which one’s “Touch” because… er… it came up recently. But assuming it’s one of the first two titles, I couldn’t tell you which.)
Huh. Well, in that case, I dunno. Oh well, it’s not like this journal has a zillion readers, so I think you’ve gotten as close as anybody will.
#21 is bob marley. “is this love,” or something like that.
Indeed it is. Something exactly like that.
As guessed on ifMUD, #18 is “Excitable Boy” by Warren Zevon.